29 October 2009

Ammo and the Range

Went to the range yesterday. I was supposed to meet a friend of mine from work there, but for some reason he never showed up. I arrived about 4:00pm, and luckily there were very few people there. The air was a little cold, but a nice day overall.

First thing I noticed was a fellow with several handguns firing indiscriminately at several targets, jumping from one range corridor to the next. Personally, I don't care, but stay out of my lane, buddy. I ended up doing all of my reloads right in the lane. I hung several clean targets up and commenced firing.

It amazes me how quickly you can go through rounds. I took roughly 150 rounds with me, and was done shooting in just under a 1/2 hour. I did experience a few misfires, which shocked me a bit (the gun didn't go boom like it should have and ejected a live shell.) These were Wolf 9mm ammo from Russia, steel jacketed, and, finding out after the fact, known for their inaccuracy and many misfires. Of course that explains why the rounds were so cheap. Let that be a lesson to me. Yes, they were just for target shooting, but nonetheless, a bit unsettling when the gun doesn't do what you want it or expect it to do. There was actually a dimple in the primer cap from where the firing pin hit it. Russ (owner of the range) said I could recycle the round through the barrel, but he wouldn't recommend it. This brand of ammo is dirty.

1)Projectile (the actual piercing round)
2)Casing (holds it all together)
3)Gunpowder or propellant
4)The rim, part used for loading
5)Primer or powder ignitor

Picture compliments of wikipedia




The next time I buy ammo, I'm going to be sure to use a better brand. I've heard Independence is excellent, and Federal firearms. A bit more pricey, but worth it in less rounds wasted.

As far as my accuracy goes, I am getting better, having adjusted my grip and stance a bit. I use a somewhat modified Weaver stance. I was told, based on my grouping, that I'm tightening my support hand a little too much which is throwing off my aim just before the trigger is pulled. Preparation, perhaps? I'll make some adjustments the next time I go.

1 comment:

  1. Hitting low and left? (presuming that you're right handed) That was my problem too, until I adjusted my grip. I switched the layering order of my thumbs, so that my left thumb is underneath my right one. Problem fixed.

    Try one of these. http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/TargetRightHanded.pdf and see if that helps to diagnose what you're doing. There's an equivalent target for lefties, or you can just imagine the labels are reversed left-right.

    ReplyDelete