22 October 2009

Home on the Range


I finally had the opportunity to take my weapon to the range today. Old Sargeant Major Sealander would be proud, I think, wiping a tear from his eye with a calloused finger. I did a lot of research about stances, handgrips, background on the weapon I was using and basic handgun safety. Well prepared is well armed. (ha ha) Anyhow, I went to a little shooting range called The Family Shooter's Corral in Eaton Rapids, MI. I was surprised at the ease in which the trigger could be pulled, not that I was caught off guard. In fact, one of the guys there said, "It ain't gonna bite ya!" Well, this dog does bite, and I'll handle it accordingly, thanks.

I practiced firing a few shots at a few metal plates quite a distance away (at least 20 yards away) and hit a fair number of them, though in truth, shooting anyone from that distance wouldn't be considered self-defense, at least I don't think it would. Anyhow, after about 25 shots I decided to try it on a few paper targets at 10 yards. I waited for the next cease fire, grabbed a couple targets and applied them to the pallet board used as backing. The cool thing about this range is they provide ear plugs and paper targets for free, with what I considered a decent fee for range time ($7.00 a half hour). Plus the owner is a friendly fellow with a handgun holstered on his waist. :)

In target 1, I fired off 9 rounds (heh... thought there were 10 in the mag) and hit the target, which for me, was surprising enough. While 10 yards truthfully is not a great distance, someone out to get you will probably do so in less than 10 yards. In target 2, my groupings were a lot more focused. I held the target, bullet holes and all up to my chest, and chuckled, whispering "center mass".

Not bad for my first time out. Plus, I learned a few things. First, there were a few guys down the row from me that had really loud (my ears are still ringing) rifles. I had originally purchased these "military grade" earplugs from a PX near me, and they were crap. If this is what the military uses, then I fear for our soldiers hearing. I ended up using foam inserts that made me practically deaf. Second, I had considered purchasing a laser site that mounts to the end of the barrel, but after witnessing another handgunner and the unsteadiness of the human hand, plus the accuracy with my handgun sans site, I'll just stick to the basics.

Cool day, rain and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment